5.13.2005

Who Am I to Turn Down a Job?

Eaten Today:
Breakfast: Egg, sausage on a roll, coffee
Dinner: Getting ready to go out now, probably to Akwabaa or Marroon's
so dinner will be high caloried

Hours on Phone: About 3, spoke to G today

Resumes: 3

Exercise: Nada (I'm so bad, and lazy too)

Bought: Dog Food (Samson has to eat too)

I have a job interview tomorrow with a family who is looking for a Governess/Home School Educator. The job pays $55,000 a year, is not far from home and is with a seemingly good family. For all intent and purposes, I should be jumping for joy, excited that I can actually get back into the job market making as much money as I was before I mean really, in my current predicament, who am I to turn down a job? However, I have some huge reservations about what is expected of me. I liken myself to be a professional, someone who takes her job seriously and has invested well into her education in preparation for the world. I think this job is much like an overpaid baby sitter (I don't turn up my nose at being over paid for anything) and I feel a bit weird about it. In addition to teaching the children, I am expected to prepare their breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner, take them to the park and appointments, I guess much like a stand in mommy. Why on earth someone would want another person doing all of this for their children is beyond me but, I am not here to judge that end of it. I guess I am afraid of working in such close quarters with a family. Will I be expectdd to teach the children in the fashion that the mom would if she weren't busy working? Would someone be over my shoulder checking everything that I do? These are their children after all, not like I'm mopping a floor or something simple like that. What about the children? Are they going to be some spoiled no listening kids that I'll want to smack up? (though I never would) And, this has crossed my mind more than a few times, since I am a black chick, and a fat black chick at that, will these people look at me as being some type of mammy figure for their children? Being a woman of color, when I see other women of color with children who are white and obviously not theirs I must admit I have looked at themm like, "wow, are we going back there, taking care of "their" children?" I don't know how I feel about it. I don't want to be a racist but, I can't help but feel as though maybe I will be viewed as some type of house negro taking care of the "folkses babies". Maybe I'm being silly, maybe I'm reading too much into something that is far more simpler. When I spoke to the mom, she said she was most impressed by my attending Columbia and starting my own businesses. Maybe I AM being paranoid but, it still bothers me somewhat.

1 comment:

zoe xx said...

It does sound so promising - I suppose really all that you can do is go along with the most open mind that you possibly can, and see what your gut reaction is to the situation when you get there. What you say about worrying about being the "mammy" is interesting, because that would not have crossed my mind.

Fingers crossed that this works out for you one way or the other.