4.23.2005

I'm very confused

I am, as the title describes very confused about my current situation. I have this toss up betweeen New Guy and Mysterious Ex. I never thought that I would but, here it is. I love Mysterious Ex, yes. He is a great guy. He's very intelligent, he's funny, he doesn't take life or himself too seriously, he's very ambitious, we have these great conversations and debates on anything from the war in Iraq to Tom and Jerry cartoons. We enjoy a lot of the same things, art, music, cooking, politics, etc. but we have interests in other things which keeps our relationship very interesting and creative. He's sweet, he's kind, he's compassionate, he's manly but sensitive, he has so many great qualities. He thinks I'm wonderful and I feel the same way about him. He's a joy for me to be around. The problem? He works long hours, has a few intimacy problems (communication wise not sexual) and doesn't seem to have enough time for me. The addition of me in his life seems to stressing him. Not that he has said that himself but, we live over an hour away from one another. After he's worked from 10 in the morning until 7 or 8 at night, I know it's a lot for him to go home, get changed then spend time with me. Even if he comes to me straight from work, I know that it's a lot. It's a weird difficult situation.

Then, there is New Guy who honestly has many of the qualities that Mysterious Ex has. He's a very intelligent guy. He's funny, he's smart, his politics are more fitting with mine, he's a bit more liberal. We also have these discussions ranging from world politics to the best way to load up your toothbrush. It's very easy to talk to him, he's very easy to be around. He's compassionate and thoughtful and ambitious (he's older so he's accomplished a bit more career wise). He's in this mode where he is ready for a "relationship" relationship, he's looking to be married within the next year or two. I am not sure if I am ready for that or not. Though Mysterious Ex and I have spoken about longevity in our relationship, it is obvious that we are not quite ready for that leap. It would be great if we could get through a few months without our relationship crumbling around us.

I honestly am perplexed about this. Though Mysterious Ex has the obvious advantage because I love and care deeply for him, I am intrigued by New Guy. I like to talk to him, he is available to me, which I like. I thought this was simple, cut and dry but, I keep coming back to this place of uncertainty, of unsuredness (I think that's a word). I don't know what to do. I can't keep this up for too long. Though New Guy knows of Mysterious Ex, M.E. doesn't know of New Guy. I am attracted to the both of them, but, it isn't a coin toss. It isn't as though I could choose one over the other and think nothing of it. As I have said, Mysterious Ex is the obvious choice, the obvious choice. But, I need more than love to have a good relationship, I know that. It's difficult to have a relationship with someone who usually isn't there.

Am I answering my own question? My heart doesn't think so.

No comments: