6.23.2005

I was speaking to my friend G the other day who sometimes strikes me as being a strange person. I mean, she's nice on the surface, but she sometimes says things that leads me to suspect that she isn't as nice as she actually lets on. Actually I can't even say "leads me to suspect", she very often says things that leaves me wondering WTF? Just weird, selfish and often childish stuff. So, not very long ago, she and this girl who she used to call her best friend stopped speaking, mind you, I am the youngest out of anyone I hang out with or even speak to, these women are in their thirties. Anyway, no one really understood the reasons which lead them to stop speaking and when G told me why, my first thought was "WTF?! we're grown, that's some kindergarten bullshit". Anyway, G and I were speaking about something or other (by the way, she has taken to calling ME, her best friend, I'm not exactly sure why, but ah well) anyway, we were speaking about whatever and I made a reference to something we were speaking about (maybe political or a law, I'm not sure) being mysogynistic. I know that I said if we lived in a matriarchal society "that" (whatever it was) wouldn't happen. She then replied (I remember this part clearly) that the world could not be ruled by women because women were vindictive, coniving and jealous of one another. I replied, I don't think that's true, that's a stereotype that is perpetrated by men and that personally, I didn't find that stereotype to be true. She then responds, well it's true of me, I hate other women when they are prettier or smarter than me, I don't like to think of women doing better than me. I completely shut up because I never heard anyone say such a thing, I mean even if they thought of it to themselves.

I began to think of the way she has been with people in the past and I had to think, she knows herself better than anyone, she's telling the truth. Then it dawned on me, when I ran my business (which was a pet oriented business), she NEVER bought one thing from me, even though she has a dog whom she loves and even though she claims she told everyone she knew who had a dog about the business. In fact, during the time that I was running my business, she bought more than several things for her dog that I myself was selling. Now, I am not saying that she should HAVE to buy things from me, but if a person is my friend and they open a hanger store then you better believe that from now on, I will at least get part of my hangers from her. It's just about supporting your friend. EVERY person that I knew who had a dog or cat, bought at least one thing from me, some people bought some things on more than one occassion just because they liked the products I was carrying, but she didn't buy one thing. I then thought about the way that I have seen her treat people that we both know and how I have HEARD about some of the things that she has done and I thought to myself, I don't think I want to be this girl's friend anymore. I mean, she hasn't done anything horrible to me, but I just really don't like to surround myself with people who are negative like that. So the problem is this, how do you break up with a friend? I've broken up with two friends in the past in a rather chicken shit way I will admit, I just stopped speaking to them, it was childish but effective. Another thing is this, at this point, she and I are both at the same stages in our career. I am now deciding that I am going to be a principal because frankly, I don't want to spend the next 40 years in the classroom and plus, I'd like to make over 100,000 a year. I told her this is what I was going to do just in casual friend like talk and now she is talking about being a principal. Is this because I said I was going to do this or because this is a realistic career goal of hers? Truthfully, I don't really count her amongst my friends, the four that I do have, so it won't be a huge loss but still, why does she have to be that way?

Another thing is, I mentioned my blog since this is sort of therapy for me and she tells me, "I came across your blog, I know where it is". I asked that she not read it, I know that it is up here for EVERYONE to read but, I don't want people that I personally know to read it, it's just weird. She tells me, since you don't want me to read it, I won't, I'll respect you. Let's see if she really does.

No comments: