7.24.2005

I take two steps forward, he takes a huge leap

So, Mysterious Ex and I had a talk today. It was rather short but deep. We have spoken about things before, but never on this level.

He told me that he was heartbroken and devastated when I told him that I thought he and I should no longer talk. He said that he understood that I was unhappy, but he thought that we would work together to make things better, not that I would just say I was unhappy and wanted out. He said that he cried for much of the night because he didn't want to not talk to me, he said it was hard to bring himself to that realization. He told me that speaking to me is difficult for him because he thinks of how our talking is just a superficial thing, not that he doesn't want to speak to me, but that it is difficult to just speak with there being no romantic connection between the two of us. He said that he spoke over our situation with his brother (which is pretty big because M.E. is manly and doesn't do the sharing feelings thing with others very well) and he came to a decision. He then told me that he is going to quit his job Monday because our relationship is under strain and I am too important to him and his life to allow "us" to dissolve over something that he feels can be fixed. I told him, I didn't want him to quit. M.E. loves his job. He's been there for a bout 7 years and he's worked his way up. He's finally head of his own department which is what I know he wanted and I feel that I cannot be the reason that he leaves this behind. I told him no, but he tells me I am worth it. (can't deny good logic there) He asked if I would marry him when I was ready and he asked if we were going to be a life long couple. I told him that I would love to be apart of his life on a long term basis and I would love for him to be a part of mine, but I am not comfortable with him leaving his job. He told me that financially, he would be okay for about two years so it wouldn't be a big deal for him to be without work for a bit but, I don't want him to give up on what he has worked so hard for for the last 7 years.

I spoke to The Heavenly One about my conversation with M.E. and she tells me it is a very hard decision for him to make and for him to decide that his career is less important than "us" is a wonderful decision, which of course it is. I know that I cannot tell him what to do, and I know that I would feel terribly if he left a career behind that he loves a lot. He says he has his studio but I know that he enjoys his work. He gets to travel, he gets to work with famous people, he always has tickets to any concert he wants to go to whether its sold out or not. Music is very important to him, I know that, I don't want to be the one responsible for him not having his career. Goddess forbid if something happens to us and then what will he do? I don't want him to regret this decision, no matter how flattered I am by it. What if he wakes up two years from now and thinks god, what have I done? Will he still love me in the same way? He told me that his happiness is his regardless of the fact that he is working or not but happiness is not there without me. He feels bad because before when we were together, it was his behavior that was messing us up to a degree and now that he has overcome those problems, the position that he has worked so hard for is "killing" us. He says that our problems are because of him.

THO said that she understands his apprehension and that it IS a hard decision to make. I totally agree. When he first told me, the selfish part of me for a few seconds thought, yah!, he's going to get rid of this stupid job. Then I automatically thought how selfish of me, let me stop. But in all honesty, if my job were putting a hinderance on us, and I know that we are both working towards a forever relationship, I would change jobs, as long as the pay were comparable to the work I was doing, I would change jobs, I know that I would. So, if I were willing to do such a thing, should I really discourage him from doing the same?

No comments: