10.31.2005

To the Anonymous Comment

The reason that I can call one of my students a doofus is because:

I am a dean of discipline in an alternative school for students who have been kicked out of "regular" schools for their CONTROLLABLE behavior. The students who attend my school are plain and simply BAD. Some of them have brought guns and knives to school, beat up teachers and other students, which is why they have been sent to my school. The school I work in is a last resort for many of these students who often have little or no credits towards graduation. If read properly, I am calling them a doofus because of their BEHAVIOR, not their learning ability.

Leave a comment with your name next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was almost certain that "doofus" was a term usually associated with one's learning ability (or lack thereof). Never heard it used when making reference to one's behavior.
I took great offense to your using that term because while I am not an educator, I do work in education and only someone who has no regard for the very children they are tring to reach/teach would ever refer to them as doofus. Now, I've read your blog for a little while and you seem earnest in your profession, which prompted me to ask you about your characterization of certain students.
I do not have a username or password. I seldom participate in blogs.